Thursday, April 14, 2011

Grammar (The Simple Present)


                                                            The Simple Present

          The simple present expresses daily habits or usual activities.
(a)    Ann takes a shower every day.
(b)   I usually eat lunch at the cafeteria.

The simple present expresses general statements of fact.
(c)    Babies cry.
(d)   The earth revolves around the sun.
(e)    A square has four equal sides.
(f)     The sky is blue.

In sum, the simple present is used for events or situations that exist always, usually, or habitually in the past, present or future.

Forms of the simple present.
Statement: ( I- You- We- They) works.
                  ( He- She- It) works.
Negative: ( I- You- We They) do not work.
                 ( He- She- It) does not work.
Question: Do ( I- you- we- they) work?
            Does ( he- she- it) work?

Simple Present Short answers to questions.
Question: Does Bob like tea?
Short answer: Yes, he does.
                        No, he doesn’t.
Long answer: Yes, he likes tea.
                        No, he doesn’t like tea.

Question: Do you like tea?
Short answer: Yes, I do.
                        No, I don’t.
Long Answer: Yes, I like tea.
                         No, I don’t like tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment